There is something truly special about the thrill of catching a salmon. The adrenaline rush that comes with reeling in a big fish is hard to beat, and when you add in the breathtaking scenery of Lake Ontario, you have the recipe for an unforgettable adventure. If you’re ready to try your hand at salmon fishing, there’s no better place to start than on the majestic waters of Lake Ontario.
Why Lake Ontario?
Lake Ontario is one of the five Great Lakes and is known for its world-class salmon fishing. With its vast size and diverse underwater terrain, the lake provides the perfect habitat for salmon to thrive. Chinook salmon, also known as “king salmon,” are the most common species found in Lake Ontario, followed by coho salmon and Atlantic salmon. Whether you’re a seasoned angler or a beginner, Lake Ontario is an ideal destination for fishing enthusiasts.
The Best Time to Fish for Salmon in Lake Ontario
Lake Ontario is known for its incredible fishing opportunities, especially for salmon and brown trout. The salmon fishing season typically runs from April to September, with the peak season being from late July to early September. During this time, the water temperatures are optimal for salmon and they are actively feeding in preparation for their spawning season. The fall season is also a great time to fish for salmon, as they are making their way back to their spawning grounds.
It’s important to keep in mind that fishing regulations and restrictions vary depending on the time of year, so staying informed and complying with guidelines is essential.
As soon as the boat launches are free of ice, we begin targeting brown trout near the shorelines in 10-20 feet of water. Brown trout are one of the most abundant species we target and provide action-packed trips with limits for all anglers being very common. These fish usually average between 4-10 lbs and are by far one of the best tasting species.
Springtime on Lake Ontario is the perfect time for fantastic brown trout fishing. The warmer water along the shore or at tributary mouths attracts baitfish, which in turn attracts the brown trout. We run brown trout trips in March and April out of Mexico Point and Sodus Point and target them from May through August in Mexico Point and Oswego.
Whether you are an experienced angler or just starting out, fishing on Lake Ontario is an experience you won’t forget. With its variety of fish species and beautiful scenery, it’s no wonder why it’s a popular destination for fishermen all year round. So come on out and enjoy the thrill of fishing on Lake Ontario!
The Best Spots for Salmon Fishing in Lake Ontario
Lake Ontario offers a variety of excellent spots for salmon fishing, depending on your preferences and experience level. Some of the most popular spots include:
The Niagara River: Known for its powerful currents and deep waters, the Niagara River is an excellent spot for experienced anglers looking for a challenge. It’s also a popular spot for salmon fishing tournaments.
The Salmon River: Located in Pulaski, New York, the Salmon River is a popular destination for salmon fishing, with plenty of public access areas and a diverse range of salmon species.
The Oswego River: The Oswego River is home to the Oswego Harbor, which is known for its abundant salmon population. It’s an excellent spot for both experienced and beginner anglers.
The Oak Orchard River: Located in Orleans County, New York, the Oak Orchard River is a favourite among salmon fishing enthusiasts, with plenty of public access areas and excellent fishing opportunities.
The Best Equipment for Salmon Fishing in Lake Ontario
To increase your chances of catching a salmon in Lake Ontario, it’s essential to have the right equipment. Here are some of the must-have items for your fishing trip:
- Rod and Reel: A medium-heavy to heavy rod and reel with a strong drag system is recommended for salmon fishing in Lake Ontario.
- Line: A braided or monofilament line with a minimum test strength of 20 pounds is recommended for salmon fishing.
- Lures: Jigs, spinners, and spoons are popular choices for salmon fishing in Lake Ontario.
- Terminal Tackle: Swivels, hooks, and leaders are essential for salmon fishing and should be of high quality to withstand the salmon’s strength.
- Safety Equipment: Life jackets, first aid kits, and other safety equipment are crucial for any fishing trip and should always be on hand.
Tips for a Safe and Successful Salmon Fishing Trip
safety and follow all regulations to ensure a successful trip. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Check the weather and water conditions before heading out. Avoid fishing during storms or when the water is rough.
- Wear appropriate clothing and footwear. Dress in layers and wear comfortable, angler or a beginner, following the tips and guidelines outlined in this guide will help ensure a safe and successful trip. So pack your bags, grab your gear, and get ready to catch the thrill of a lifetime on Lake Ontario. non-slip shoes with good traction.
- Always wear a life jacket and ensure that all safety equipment is in good condition and easily accessible.
- Familiarise yourself with fishing regulations and guidelines, including catch limits, size limits, and gear restrictions.
- Practice catch-and-release fishing whenever possible to help conserve the salmon population.
- Be respectful of other anglers and the environment. Dispose of trash properly and avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Book a fishing charter or hire a guide if you’re new to salmon fishing. They can provide valuable knowledge and expertise to help you have a successful and safe trip.
In conclusion, salmon fishing on Lake Ontario is an incredible experience that every angler should try at least once. With its vast size and diverse habitat, Lake Ontario offers excellent opportunities for catching a variety of salmon species. Whether you’re a seasoned